Thursday 6 February 2014

Synology 412+ - first impressions

For some time now I've been planning to buy an extra machine as a server - for local storage but also to do some more serious development and testing. My current laptop is starting to show its age (or I shall rather say: is on its last legs...) and whilst during pure development it's not bad enough for me to go through the hassle of picking a new one, I decided I could use something extra - just to run some dev tools, an app or two, or a db server, or a little cloud, or whatever it is I'm testing. On top of that I needed a place to store the code - I do not necessarily want to put it all on public github. And some space to store the data (if/when I start playing with things like Neo4j). And a place for the company website (tried google sites but honestly it doesn't seem to be quite what I was looking for). And my hard drive started to make funny noises and I got worried that one day I'll lose all my data.
Theoretically I could have bought a private github account, space in the cloud and what not but I wanted something that will grow with me, and something entirely under my control. Plus, cloud is all good if you have a handful of gigabytes of data but anything beyond and things just get increeeeeeedibly slow to backup.

Finally after some research I decided to buy this little baby: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS412+ . It seemed a bit expensive but after having had it for a few days I think it will turn out to be worth every penny. I am getting more and more excited about it - it's basically a unix server, with full root access, with heaps of inbuilt stuff (NAS being a major one of course). It even has a git server, JDK and Tomcat. Linux on it is rather basic, but I don't think I'll need it much, I will just add maven to the mix and that should be enough for my needs. For now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment